Monday, January 19, 2009

Sundance Volume 3

Cold Souls

I was worried that this movie was going to come off as pretentious. It does, in some ways, follow a certain art-house formula, in the tradition of "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and "Being John Malkovich" but it managed not to take itself too seriously with plenty of humour and satire, as well as a lovely performance by Paul Giamatii.

There is a reason why Paul Giamatti is an Indie darling, and I'm pretty sure he deserves all the acclaim he receives. There is something about him that makes you wish he was your best friend, that you could go for long walks in comfortable silence together. There is something reassuring about Paul, and his unparalleled ability to look utterly pathetic. I loved him in this movie.

It was the kind of movie that you could just float through. Being a film student I often watch movies critically, and what I have begun to look for in a movie is one that consumes my critical inner monologue. When I can watch a movie and it elicits emotion rather than a review I know I've found something special, and this was just such a movie.

This is my favorite movie of the festival.

So far...

No comments: